Is there anyone who doesn’t like bacon? I don’t think so! In my case, the more (and the crispier), the better. Don’t get me wrong, I’m aware of the fact that bacon isn’t exactly healthy, so I try to cut on it as much as I can. I usually crave bacon during the cold season, so I add crispy bacon on my Christmas/ New Year’s Eve menu.
So, when I say bacon, I usually have in mind two things: chicken liver and dates. These two combinations are simply amazing, each in it’s own perfect way. The first one is so rich and flavorful and the second one is so decadent and sharp. I made for those rolls a fresh and tangy beetroot and greek yogurt sauce.
Bacon wrapped chicken livers
Ingredients (for 30 rolls):
- 300g chicken livers (with the connective tissue cut out)
- 20g butter
- 10 sage leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 30 ml brandy
- salt and pepper to taste
- 150g bacon (I had 15 slices)
- Melt butter in a pan, on medium heat. Add sage leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Remove sage from pan and leave aside.
- Add chicken livers to the sage infused butter and cook for 5 minutes, until the liver is brown on the outside and pale in the middle.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add brandy, simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- My bacon slices were too long, so I cut them in the middle and my livers were too big, so I cut them in smaller slices, too.
- Place ½ a sage leaf on a bacon slice and top with a chicken liver slice. Wrap tightly bacon around liver and sage.
- Place liver rolls on a tray and bake at 375°F/190°C (gas mark 5) for 15 minutes or until crispy.
Goat cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon
- 30 pitted dates
- 100g goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 150g sliced bacon ( I had 15 slices)
- Using a small spoon, fill each pit cavity with goat cheese and add some chopped thyme on top (I love thyme so I added a lot).
- Wrap tightly bacon around stuffed date.
- Place liver rolls on a tray and bake at 375°F/190°C (gas mark 5) for 15 minute or until crispy.
Greek yogurt beetroot sauce
- 6 Tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 small beetroot
- 1 garlic head
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap beetroot loosely in aluminium foil. Trim about 1 cm off the bottom of the garlic head. Drizzle with sea salt and olive oil and wrap it loosely in aluminium foil. Place packages (beetroot and garlic) in the preheated oven at 375°F/190°C (gas mark 5) for 30 minutes.
- Peel and chop beetroot. Press the bottom of the garlic head to extract the garlic puree.
- Blend together greek yogurt, roasted garlic, chopped beet, lemon zest , lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy.