This vegan cottage pie is simply amazing. The top layer is made from garlicky, fluffy mashed potatoes and the bottom layer is a delicious tofu and mushroom stew, flavored with chilli, fresh thyme and bay leaves. It is such an easy-going dish, but exquisite in its own simplicity.
I tell you, this is the kind of dish that you won’t believe it’s plant-based. It’s simply amazing!
Îți spun sincer că e genul de preparat despre care n-ai bănui nicio clipă că e vegan. E absolut delicios!
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
the bottom layer
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots (about 200g)
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Worcester sauce
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 300g champignon mushrooms
- 200g frozen pea
- 1 extra-firm tofu block
- ½ Tbsp mustard
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
the top layer
- 5 potatoes (about 750g)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup soy milk (or any other unflavored vegan milk)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 thyme branch
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Remove the tofu from its packaging. Line a plate with a folded paper towel and set the tofu on top. Cover with another paper towel.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion, carrot and celeriac to the pot. Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add 2 minced garlic cloves, tomato puree, chopped thyme, bay leaf, chilli powder and Worcester sauce and cook until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine and cook until the liquid has reduces by half. Add the broth, cover with a lid, reduce heat to minimum and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cube them. Boil them in salted water. Drain and mash. Heat the milk and 3 Tbsp olive in a saucepan. Add the thyme and the crushed garlic and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the garlic and the thyme and pour over the mashed potatoes. Season with garlic powder and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet and saute the chop mushrooms until all the liquid has evaporated (about 10 minutes).
- Cut the tofu into small cubes. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a skillet and fry the tofu cubes until golden. In a bowl mix together the mustard, honey, lemon juices and 1 minced garlic clove. Remove the fried tofu cubes from the skillet and place them in the marinade. Toss them to cover and leave aside.
- After 30 minutes, the carrots should be soft. Remove the pot from the heat and add peas, sautéed mushrooms, fried tofu and 1 Tbsp flour. Mix until incorporated and spoon the stew into an ovenproof dish (I used a 22x22cm ceramic dish).
- Top with mashed potatoes and bake in the preheated oven at 375°F/190°C (gas mark 5) for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.