I only have one unbreakable rule: never to skip breakfast; everyone around me knows that even the scariest monster looks like a pretty fairy when compared to “hungry myself”. I’ve never been picky, so I eat almost everything for breakfast, from milk and cereal, to fruit, veggies, cheese, meat products and pastry (preferably two pieces at a time and preferably anything with chocolate on top). Whenever I have a free half an hour, I make burritos with tortilla made from scratch. Even though each time I use different toppings, my favorite version is the one that has creamy eggs, salmon, sauted zucchini and cherry tomatoes. These creamy eggs are absolutely divine, they are so silky and buttery and they don’t have that rubbery texture that scrambled eggs sometimes have. I tell you, this combo is amazing!
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 2 tortillas (store-bought or made following this recipe)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter (divided)
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp crème fraiche
- 60g smoked salmon, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, edges trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the zucchini in 5mm thick slices and place them on paper towels. Sprinkle them with ½ tsp sea salt and leave them on the counter for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in four, remove their seeds and cut them in smaller pieces.
- Prepare the creamy scrambled eggs. For them to be silky and creamy, you need to cook them in 30 second intervals, followed by 10 second resting interval.
- Take a cold heavy-bottom pan and break 2 eggs in it (do not add salt until the end; salt at the beginning = watery eggs). Add ½ Tbsp of butter, place the pan on medium heat and start stirring. Cook them for 30 seconds (stirring continuously) and then take the pan off the heat and stir for 10 seconds. Place it back on the heat and cook the eggs for 30 seconds, stirring continuously. At this point you should be able to see coagulated egg ribbons. Take it off the heat and stir for another 10 seconds. Place it back on the heat and finish cooking the eggs for another 30 seconds. When they are ready, you should see coagulated ribbons of egg white but the product should still look creamy. Add ½ Tbsp of crème fraiche, ½ Tbsp chives and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pat dry the zucchini slices and cut them 1 cm thick ribbons. Saute them in 1 Tbsp of butter in a cast iron skillet for about 1 minute.
- To assembly the burrito, layer the scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, sauted zucchini and cherry tomato cubes. Fold in the two sides and roll up very tightly.