I love chocolate. I love it in every state of aggregation, in every color or flavor combination. And I love it even more when outside is freezing and the chocolate waits for me patiently in a huge cup, garnished with tangy cocoa powder and silky marshmallows.
I love hot chocolate because:
- it’s sweet and slightly bitter, with subtle notes of vanilla and coffee
- it’s quite dense and creamy, silky and decadent
- it warms both my body and my soul
- it’s ready in less than 10 minutes
- reminds me of my childhood
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 1 + ½ Tbsp cocoa powder (12g)
- 1 – 2 Tbsp granulated brown sugar (15 – 30g)
- 1 + ½ cups whole milk (360ml)
- 3.5 oz semisweet chocolate ( I used Milka Extra Cocoa – 45% cocoa) – 100g
- ¼ tsp instant coffee powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. Add the cocoa and the instant coffee powder and whisk for about 2 minutes, until the cocoa powder has dissolved.
- Add the sugar and milk and let it simmer for about 2 minutes, whisking frequently. Reduce the heat to low, add the chocolate squares and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and vanilla extract.
- Serve hot garnished with marshmallows and cocoa powder.