I had no idea that there’s a way to make some delicious scrambled eggs without using a single egg. Seasoned crumbled tofu accompanied by a couple of veggies creates the best “scrambled eggs” I’ve ever tasted. This scrambled tofu with spinach and bell pepper is absolutely delicious and it’s ready in less than 15 minutes. For seasoning this tasty dish, I use turmenic, cumin, chili and garlic powder. The golden turmenic is not only used for its flavor, but it also brings this vibrant, “eggie” color to the dish. The steps are so simple. You sautee the onion and the pepper in a skillet, you add the spinach and you braise it for a couple of moments. Finally you add the crumbled tofu and you season it to perfection. That’s all! Simple, nutritious and incredibly delicious!
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 200g extra firm tofu
- 1/2 red onion (50g)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (70g)
- 2 handfuls of spinach (50g)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp water / vegetable soup
- 1/2 tsp turmenic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch of chili
- salt to taste
- Pat tofu dry using a clean paper towel. Cover it with paper towel and place something heavy on top (I used some cans).
- Chop the onion and the bell pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the onion and the pepper and sautee for about 3 minutes.
- Wash the spinach, pat it dry and add it to the skillet. Cover with a lid and cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until soft.
- Unwrap tofu and crumble it using your hands. I a small bowl prepare a sauce by mixing the spices with water / veggie soup.
- Move the vegetables to one side of the skillet using a spatula and add the crumbled tofu to the empty side. Pour the sauce over the tofu and stir.
- Continue to cook over high heat until tofu begins to brown (for about 3 – 5 minutes).
- Serve immediately. I served my scrambled tofu with a large slice of homemade challah bread. Best breakfast ever!
2 thoughts on “Scrambled Tofu with Pepper and Spinach”
Thank you, my friend!!
You’re welcome! 🙂