This salad is actually a different approach to the classic “Prosciutto e Melone”, a very popular Italian antipasto. The smoked ham and the juicy melon are a wonderful combination, as the sweetness of the melon balances the saltiness of the ham. This combination is so simple but so complex in its own simplicity. So I took these two elements and I’ve integrated them in a summery salad. I added some juicy cherry tomatoes, some crunchy cucumber ribbons and some fresh mozzarella cheese. The result was a juicy, delicious and very satisfying salad. Extremely tasty and incredibly easy to make!
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- ½ of a honeydew melon
- 70g prosciutto crudo thinly sliced
- 70g cornichon cucumbers (3 cucumbers)
- 100g halved cherry tomatoes
- 100g fresh mozzarella
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil (or any other mild flavored oil)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp finely chopped shallot
- salt and chilli flakes to taste
- Ball the melon using a mellon baller (noisette). Press it into the flesh of the fruit and rotate it 360° to form a ball. Remove the balls one at a time (picture).
- Peel the cucumbers using a vegetable peeler. Holding steady the cucumber, peel the flesh of the cucumber until you reach the seeds (pictures).
- Prepare the dressing. In a bowl mix together the shallot and the lemon juice. Add the oil 1 teaspoon at a time, stirring continuously.
- On a large platter arrange melon balls, cherry tomatoes, prosciutto slices and cucumber ribbons. Using your fingers, tear the mozzarella cheese and arrange it over top. Before serving, drizzle the dressing and season with salt and chili flakes.