Quiche is a savory French tart. It is a perfect mixture between a crispy crust and a flavourful filling. The pie crust (pâte brisée) is filled with veggies, meat products, as well as with a creamy egg mixture. I decided to bake a mushroom and tomato quiche (lacto-ovo-vegetarian version), served with a goat cheese, walnut and lamb’s lettuce salad.
I Crust (pâte brisée)
• 125g white flour
• 116g cold butter (cut into small pieces)
• 3 Tbsp ice cold water
• ¼ tsp salt
1. In a large bowl mix salt and flour together. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture.
2. Add cold water and form a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Roll out dough on floured surface and place it in a 28 cm tart pan. Prick the base of the crust with a fork and bake it in a preheated oven at 350°F/180°C (gas mark 4) for 12-15 minutes (the crust should look cooked, but not golden).
II Mushroom filling
• 500g champignon mushrooms ( I used brown champignon)
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• 3 garlic cloves
• 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
• 2/3 cup sour cream
• 2/3 cup milk
• 2 eggs
• 2 yolks
• ¼ tsp nutmeg
• 50g cheddar cheese
• 2 tomatoes
• salt and pepper
1. Give mushrooms a quick rinse and chop them.
2. In a large skillet heat the olive oil (on medium). Sauté the mushrooms until they get well browned (about 10 minutes). Add minced garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
3. Scatter the mushrooms evenly over the bottom of the crust.
4. Whisk together eggs, yolks, sour cream, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the mushroom. Sprinkle with grated cheese and place tomato slices on top.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F/180°C (gas mark 4) for 35-40 minutes, or until the custard is golden.
III Goat cheese, walnut and lamb’s lettuce salad
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
• a handful of lamb’s lettuce
• ½ a pear (sliced)
• 5 walnuts
• goat cheese (20g)
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• ½ Tbsp lemon juice
Method: Arrange on a platter the ingredients above, in the same order.