I absolutely love strawberries. I find them delicious both in desserts and in savory dishes. They go so well with a lot of other salad ingredients, from arugula, baby spinach and asparagus to green beans and cauliflower. Strawberries not only add an elegant touch to any dish, but they also add nutrients and flavor. During May and June, when strawberries are fresh and mouth-watering, I include them almost daily in a salad.
For this particular salad I sliced a few strawberries and I placed them on top of some blanched asparagus. I added pea sprouts, avocado and feta cheese and I dressed them with a fresh and flavorful poppy seed-lemon dressing. Very simple and so delicious!
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 20 asparagus spears
- 8 strawberries, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 80g feta cheese
- 12 pea sprouts
for the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a peeler shave the asparagus and cut about 7 cm from the end (picture).
- Blanch the asparagus. Bring to a boil 2l of water and add 1 Tbsp sea salt. Cook the asparagus for 1 minute. Meanwhile prepare the ice bath by adding 1 cup of ice to a bowl filled with cold water. Carefully drain the asparagus and immediately place it in the ice bath. Let it cool completely and then drain it.
- Cube the avocado and drizzle 1 Tbsp lemon juice to prevent oxidation.
- On a platter arrange the asparagus. Add the strawberry slices, avocado cubes, pea sprouts and crumbled feta cheese.
- Prepare the dressing by toasting the poppy seeds in a skillet on medium heat for 2 minutes, just to enhance their flavor. In a blender mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, honey and mustard and pulse until smooth and creamy. Add the toasted poppy seeds, season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the salad.