I can’t remember last time I had a store-bought tortilla. I always make my own tender and delicious tortillas. These flatbreads are so easy to make, they taste incredible and they are also budget-friendly. I usually use olive oil in this recipe because I love its flavor but any other vegetable oil works just fine.
Ingredients (8 servings):
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder and make a well in the center.
- Add the oil and the water and mix with a wooden spatula until you form a ball.
- Bring the sticky dough on a floured working surface and knead it for 3 minutes, or until the surface is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic foil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes divide dough into 8 pieces and shape them into 8 balls.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Using a rolling pin flatten each dough ball until you have a 3mm thick disk.
- Place one dough circle into the skillet and cook for 2 minutes (1 minutes each side), until light brown.
- Remove tortilla from heat, place it on a plate and cover with a clean towel.
- Continue until all the tortillas are cooked.