I can’t remember last time I had a store-bought tortilla. I always make my own tender and delicious tortillas. These flatbreads are so easy to make, they taste incredible and they are also budget-friendly. I usually use olive oil in this recipe because I love its flavor but any other vegetable oil works just fine.
Ingredients (8 servings):
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder and make a well in the center.
- Add the oil and the water and mix with a wooden spatula until you form a ball.
- Bring the sticky dough on a floured working surface and knead it for 3 minutes, or until the surface is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic foil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes divide dough into 8 pieces and shape them into 8 balls.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Using a rolling pin flatten each dough ball until you have a 3mm thick disk.
- Place one dough circle into the skillet and cook for 2 minutes (1 minutes each side), until light brown.
- Remove tortilla from heat, place it on a plate and cover with a clean towel.
- Continue until all the tortillas are cooked.
2 thoughts on “Homemade Flour Tortilla”
My hubby and I have tried all kinds of recipes for flour tortillas, and had about given up because they all ended with stiff, crackley tortillas. I made these tonight, and we have been ecstatic that they are so soft and tasty! Thank you!!
Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Lisa! I’m so, sooooooo glad you liked the recipe! <3