Chicken soup with spinach and brown rice is a hearty and nutritious soup. This colorful and heartwarming soup is packed with lovely autumnal flavors. It is the kind of soup that you crave on a cold winter afternoon and the kind of soup that is capable to brighten a cloudy day.
Ingredients (8 servings):
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 champignon mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (400ml)
- 1700ml chicken broth
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 + ½ tsp dried oregano
- 200g brown rice
- 100g fresh spinach
- 300g cooked chicken
- In a large pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sautee until translucent.
- Add carrots, celery stalk and mushrooms and sautee for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano and chopped basil and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and chicken broth, cover with a lid, reduce heat to minimum and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add rice and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the spinach. Wash it several times, remove the stems (picture) and tear it into small pieces. Add spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add sliced chicken to the pot and season well with salt and pepper.
- For this recipe you can use chicken steak leftovers or plain boiled chicken.
- This quantities make a really thick and stewy soup. If you prefer your soup a little more fluid, you can always add more broth.
One thought on “Chicken Soup with Spinach and Brown Rice”