I have to make a confession: I don’t like salads that much. I’ve never liked them and I never will. I frequently eat salads because it’s the right thing to do, but I’m not a big salad lover. Anyway, this chickpea salad is pretty decent. Almost tasty. Fine! It’s very tasty, even though it’s a salad. It has lots of bold flavors and lovely textures and it’s quite addictive, to be honest.
Salad ingredients (for 2 servings):
- crispy chickpeas
- raw zucchini rolls
- 2 scallions
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 30g of feta cheese
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- lemon dressing
Raw zucchini rolls:
- 1 zucchini
- juice and zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Slice the zucchini as thinly as you can. For this step I used a vegetable peeler.
- For the marinade mix together lemon juice and zest, olive oil, chilli and garlic and pour over the zucchini slices.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, my slices were tender enough and I rolled them from one end to the other.
- 1 can of chickpeas (400g)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp of your favorite spice blend
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat the chickpeas dry using a paper towel and toss them with salt and olive oil.
- Spread them on a parchment paper-lined tray and roast them in the preheated oven at 400°/204
- For the spice blend I used about 7 peppercorns, ¼ tsp brown sugar, ¼ tsp garam masala, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp powdered garlic and ½ Tbsp onion flakes.
- Sprinkle the spices over the hot chickpeas and stir to coat evenly.
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ shallot, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Method: For the dressing just stir together all the ingredients above.
On a large platter place the baby spinach, scallions, zucchini rolls, cherry tomatoes, crispy chickpea and feta cheese and pour the dressing on top. I served this delicious chickpea salad with fresh homemade flatbreads (recipe here).
One thought on “Baby Spinach Salad with Crispy Chickpeas and Raw Zucchini Rolls”