Yogurt and cranberry pie is a sweet & sour dessert, perfect on a warm spring / hot summer evening. It is so refreshing and very easy to make! You just have to remember to defrost some phyllo pastry sheets and the job is half done. If you have the attention of a 5 year old and the memory of a 100 year old, like a have almost every single day sometimes, this is the most difficult part. After you get the first part done, you just have to mix some ingredients in a bowl, and the filling is ready.
Ingredients (for 20 slices):
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets
- 900g 3% fat yogurt – about 3 + ¾ cups
- 5 large eggs
- 200g Demerara sugar – 3/4 cups + 1 Tbsp
- 60ml vegetable oil – 1/4 cups
- 100g chopped cranberries – about ¾ cups + 1 Tbsp
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ Tbsp lemon zest
- 30g Demerara sugar – 2 Tbsp
- 60ml water – ¼ cup
- 15ml lemon juice – 2 Tbsp
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- about 5 lemon strips
- Oil a parchment paper-lined tray (a rectangular 35x30cm tray) with 1 tsp vegetable oil. Place 2 phyllo pastry sheets on the oiled parchment paper.
- Prepare the filling. In a large bowl mix together the eggs with the sugar and the salt. Stir until creamy. Add the remaining oil, yogurt, cranberries, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Stir until incorporated.
- Cover the 2 phyllo pastry sheets from the bottom of the tray with about 12 Tbsp of filling; level the cream. Place another 2 sheets on top and cover with another layer of cream. Continue the process and top with 2 phyllo pastry sheets. Cut the surface into 20 (5×4) squares.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 325°F/160°C (gas mark 3) for about 40 minutes, or until golden and fluffy.
- Meanwhile prepare the syrup. Mix together the water with the sugar, lemon juice and lemon stripes and boil on low heat for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract.
- As soon as you remove the pie from the oven, while the pie is still hot and fluffy, carefully drizzle the syrup on top. Let it cool completely and slice.