Semifreddo is a delicious frozen Italian dessert. It’s basicaly an icecream, a really smooth and creamy one, the cremiest icecream that doean’t require an icecream maker. Semifreddo is so easy to make, it requires just a few basic ingredients, a bread tray and a freezer. That’s all! It’s useless to use as an argument the fact that this lovely treat melts in your mouth; of couse it does, it’s an icecream after all. But its incredibly rich taste and fragrance, the interesting creamy-crunchy justaposition make from this treat a winner. As I mentioned above, semifreddo is so easy to make, the most difficult part of the recipe being the 6 hours waiting interval! Oh… but when it finally freezes…
- ½ cup sliced almonds – 50g
- 1 + ¾ cup whipping cream – 420ml
- 7 large egg yolks
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup citrus juice (orange + lemon/lime) – 120ml
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (preferably organic)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Take a large mixing bowl and place it in the freezer.
- Line a loaf pan with cling foil, making sure that the excess is hanging over the ends and sides.
- Brown the almonds in a skillet, on medium heat. Set aside.
- Take the refrigerated mixing bowl and beat the cream until soft peaks form.
- Whisk the egg yolk, sugar, citrus juice and salt in a large bowl. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Whisk constantly the egg mixture until light-colored, thick and fluffy, and the thermoter inserted into the mixture registrates 170°F / 75° C (about 5-7 minutes).
- Remove the bowl from the simmering water and beat the mixture until cool and doubled in volume (about 5-7 minutes).
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the creamy yolk mixture.
- Sprinkle the chilled almonds evenly over the bottom of the loaf pan and spoon the mixture over the almonds. Fold the overhanging cling foil over the semifreddo mixture and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Unfold the cling foil and invert the semifreddo onto platter.
- Remove cling foil, cut into slices and serve. I serve mine with chocolate sauce and watermelon balls.