This butter bean and tuna salad is simply divine! It’s very tasty, nutritious and hearty. It is a rustic, unpretentious salad, but at the same time the flavor and texture combination give it a particular charm. It’s so easy to make and to gain some time, I start the recipe by roasting the cherry tomatoes just until they caramelize nicely and burst with flavor. While my tomatoes brown patiently in the oven, I make the creamy mustard dressing and I chop the rest of the ingredients and the dinner is ready. Or the lunch. Or the brunch, if you’re as greedy as I am. I serve this lovely salad on a garlicky whole-wheat toast and I enjoy every last bite of it.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 can of butter beans
- 1 can of tuna chunks in olive oil (180g)
- 1 celery stalk (50g)
- 3 – 4 pickled cornichon cucumbers (50g)
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- ½ small red onion
- 10g chopped chives
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of whole-wheat bread
- 1 clove of garlic
- Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and place them on a parchment paper-lined tray. Roast them in the oven for 10 minutes, turning them after 5 minutes.
- In a salad bowl add the mustard and the lemon juice and combine with a whisk. Drizzle the olive oil, whisking continuously until the dressing becomes smooth and creamy.
- Drain the tuna, rinse and drain the butter beans. Chop the cucumbers and the celery and finely chop the onion and the chives.
- Add the ingredients above to the bowl and stir to combine. Add the cherry tomatoes and stir again.
- Toast 2 slices of bread and rub them with garlic. Slice them in half.
- For serving, place on each plate 1 half of a slice of bread and top them with bean and tuna salad. Garnish with radish sprouts.