I’m a big potato fan, I love them in every shape, color, size or combination. From white and purple to sweet potatoes, from mashed, baked and wedges, to fries, rösti and potato salad. But for that particular moment when I cannot figure out whether I’m craving fries or mashed potatoes, there is a wonderful recipe called Hasselback Potatoes. This recipe combines both the earthy crunchiness of fries and the buttery creaminess of mashed potatoes. This adorable fan-shaped spuds are not only good-looking, but also delicious and healthy.
The technique is quite simple; the potatoes are sliced into thin parallel slices but they aren’t cut all the way through; after that they are generously greased with butter, they are roasted in the oven until they become golden brown. To make my work easier, I simply place the potato in a large spoon and I rest the handler on a paper towel roll (picture). The edges of the spoon will stop you from slicing the potato all the way through. I wanted to make this recipe vegan, so I substituted butter for some quality olive oil. I tried to mimic that rich flavor that butter gives to the dish and I placed some garlic and thyme between the potato slices. The result was (muuuuuch) more than satisfactory.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 8 medium red skin potatoes (I used new potatoes)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven at 220°C / 425°F (gas mark 7).
- Wash the potatoes, sprinkle them with coarse salt and leave them on the counter for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, scrape their peel using a vegetable knife. Wash them again and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place one potato on a large tablespoon. Rest the handler on a paper roll (if your cutting board is slippery, place a wet paper towel under the spoon).
- Using a sharp knife, cut the potato into thin slices (about 3 mm thick). The edges of the spoon will stop you from slicing the potato all the way through. Cut the rest of the potatoes.
- Wash them again and pat them dry with a paper towel. Finely slice the garlic cloves.
- Place about 5 garlic slices and 5 thyme leaves between slits (picture).
- Place the potatoes on a parchment paper-lined tray and drizzle them with 3 Tbsp of olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake until the potatoes are golden brown (50 – 60 minutes). They are ready when they are soft in the middle if pierced with a knife. Serve them hot with cold sauces, such as garlic, tomato or avocado sauce.
One thought on “Hasselback Potatoes (Vegan)”