These amazing muffins, perfect for breakfast or served as a dessert, will satisfy even the most pretentious chocolate lovers. These muffins are incredibly easy to make – you just mix some ingredients, you bake them et voilà, you have some fluffy and tender beauties. The buttermilk gives them such a soft and moist texture and the brown sugar gives them a rich, caramel flavor. And the most interesting part is the fact that they are ready in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients (for 12 servings):
- 1 + ¾ cup white flour
- 2/3 cups cocoa
- 1 + ¼ cups soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp bicarbonate powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk + 1 Tbsp whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, bicarbonate soda, bicarbonate powder and espresso powder.
- In another bowl combine the wet ingredients: eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, whole milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix the compositions, because the muffins will be less tender.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups and bake in the preheated oven at 375°F/190°C (gas mark 5) for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.