Today I have the following idea: a hearty kidney bean and quinoa warm salad wrapped in a homemade flatbread, served with a delicious and tangy avocado sauce. It’s a vegan dish, extremely tasty and very nutritious. It is a very satisfying salad, packed with protein, vitamins and healthy fats.
Warm kidney bean and quinoa salad
Ingredients (for 4 generous servings):
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 50ml red wine
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 250g kidney beans (canned)
- 125g corn (canned)
- juice from ½ a lime
- 450ml vegetable broth
- ½ cup of uncooked quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the vegetables (onion, carrot, celery and chilli) in olive oil on medium heat until the onion is translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add minced garlic, cumin and thyme and cook until fragrant, stirring occasionally (about 30 seconds).
- Add the wine and cook until the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the canned tomatoes and 200ml broth, cover with a lid, reduce the heat to minimum and cook for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add the kidney beans and the corn, cover with a lid and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa. Rinse and drain ½ cup of quinoa, transfer to a saucepan, cover with 1 cup of hot vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, reduce the temperature to minimum and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the quinoa from the heat (still covered) and leave aside for another 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Stir together the bean mixture and the cook quinoa and season with salt, pepper and lime juice.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 fresh chilli
- zest and juice from ½ of a lime
- salt to taste
- Deseed the chilli and chop it finely.
- Using a fork, puree the avocado and mix immediately with lime juice. Add lime zest, chilli and salt and mix until smooth.