This heat calls for lemonade, that’s for sure. This lemonade manages to refresh wonderfully, it hydrates terribly and it sweetens just as much as it should. I cannot decide what I like the most about this delicious watermelon lemonade. Maybe the hypnotic color. Or the lovely watermelon flavor. Or the fact that it’s ready in no time.
The sweetness of this lemonade is ensured mostly by the watermelon. And if the watermelon I choose is extra-ripe and extra-sweet, I might as well skip the sweetener. I like to keep my watermelon lemonade raw vegan, so if my melon isn’t sweet enough, I add a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup, but sugar or honey works just as fine. When it’s ready, I like to serve it in oversize glass jars, with lots of ice and mint leaves, just for an extra touch of freshness and I enjoy the whole thing at the shade of the huge cherry tree from my back yard.
Ingredints (for 1l lemonade):
- 600g watermelon, cubed
- 100ml lemon juice (1 ½ or 2 lemons)
- 300ml water
- 1 – 2 maple syrup
- Take the melon and peel it off with a knife (picture).
- Cube it and remove the black seeds (picture).
- Squeeze the lemon is a bowl.
- Place the melon cubes in a blender. Add the water and 1 Tbsp of maple syrup. Place a strainer over the bowl and strain the lemon juice.
- Pulse for 15 seconds until the ingredients are well blended. Adjust the lemonade according to your taste by adding more maple syrup or lemon juice.
- Place the strainer over a carafe and strain the lemonade.
- Serve chilled in large jars filled with ice and garnish with mint leaves.