I can’t say I often come across such an interesting salad. This salad is quite special, it has a lovely flavor profile, great colors and wonderful textures. At first sight it is a simple, summery salad, with seasonal, budget-friendly ingredients. But when you taste it, it’s impossible not to fall in love. The earthy sweetness of the grilled corn goes wonderfully with the fragrant juiciness of the watermelon and the smooth, almost creamy texture of the lentils. These three tasty ingredients are deliciously bonded together by chopped chives and lemon juice.
Lentils pack this salad with protein which makes it surprisingly satisfying. It is perfect for lunch, dinner and picnic and it is a genius way to use that big slice of watermelon that has been patiently waiting in your fridge for days.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 can of lentils (250g)
- 2 ears of corn (250g corn)
- 1/8 of a medium watermelon (250g cubes)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lime
- 10g chives
- salt to taste
- Grill the corn until golden brown (I used exactly this recipe). While they are still hot, cover them with a towel and let them rest for about 5 minutes.
- While the corn grilles, cube the watermelon. Cut the chunk into slices and peel them. Cube the slices and cut each cube into 2 triangles. With a vegetable knife remove as many seeds as possible.
- Finely chop the chives.
- After the 5 minutes have passed, take a cob and cut off its bottom (for stability). Slice the kernels off of the cob and place them into a medium bowl.
- Rinse the lentils and drain well. Add the drained lentils to the bowl, add the olive oil and the salt.
- Spoon the lentils and corn salad over a platter. Garnish with watermelon triangles and sprinkle with the juice of half a lime just before serving.
- Place the leftovers in a bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Tips & Tricks Vegan: For some extra protein and healthy fatty acids, feel free to add 1 – 2 Tbsp of hemp seed.
Tips & Tricks Vegetarian: Although it is delicious as it is, this salad becomes exquisite by crumbling some feta cheese on the top.