Duck egg frittata with zucchini is the answer to the question “what can I make for dinner from basically nothing and in less than 20 minutes?”. Frittata is such a simple dish, it requires about 4 or 5 ingredients and a non-stick pan (my cast iron skillet works great). This fancy omelet is so satisfying, creamy and flavorful and it practically prepares itself. I like to pair it with a crusty slice of bread and with a large bowl of salad, and that’s how I get a tasty vegetarian dinner in no time.
Duck eggs are quite fatty, which makes them absolutely tasty, although they are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, they also provide a large quantity of cholesterol which doesn’t make them suitable for daily consumption. On the other hand, duck eggs are also a great source of vitamin B complex, vitamin A, selenium and phosphorus. So, eaten in moderate amounts, duck eggs are not delicious, but also nutritious.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 5 duck eggs (300g) or 6 chicken eggs
- 2 small zucchini (300g)
- 1 small onion (40g)
- 50g grated parmesan
- ½ chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbso plive oil
- ¾ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper
- Wash the zucchini and grate them. Place them in a bowl, add ½ tsp salt, stir well and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- Chop the onion and the thyme and grate the parmesan.
- Take a cast iron pan, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and sautee the onion over low – medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the liquid from the grated zucchini a towel or your hands.
- Add the zucchini to the pan and sautee for further 2 minutes.
- Beak the duck eggs in a large bowl. Add the parmesan, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk well. Add the sauted onion and zucchini and stir until combined.
- Clean the iron pan with a paper towel, add the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil and add the mixture from the bowl.
- Place the pan on the stove and cook over low – medium heat until the frittata looks done at the edges and has just set in the middle (for about 8 minutes).
- Place the pan in the oven and broil for further 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and serve warm with a salad.
- Cover the leftovers with cling film and refrigerate for up to 2 days.